The tomato, in all its forms, is honestly my favourite addition or centre piece to any dish. These fritters, covered in a crispy, golden batter with a sweet, tangy centre, are perfectly complimented by a fresh basil aioli. Serve outside on a warm evening as a light snack or add these to a delicious mezze platter and enjoy with some crunchy bread!
Yield: 16 fritters
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
16 sun dried tomatoes in oil – drained and dried
olive oil for shallow frying
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp corn flour
½ tsp baking powder
1½ tbsp cold milk/water
A pinch of salt and pepper
1 large handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
½ cup good quality mayonnaise
2 tsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
salt and pepper
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Beat the egg into this mixture adding a dash of milk if necessary to obtain a smooth, thick batter.
- Allow batter to rest for 20-30 minutes to allow the flour particles to swell and the batter to bind.
- Combine all the ingredients for the aioli and mix well.
- Pour enough olive oil into a frying pan to cover the base generously and heat gently.
- Using a fork, dip the tomatoes into the batter, making sure they are well coated. Allow any excess batter to drip off.
- Shallow fry in the hot oil in batches until golden (+- 3 mins on each side)
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve warm with your fresh basil aioli.