This recipe is so easy and is always perfectly delicious and impressive. Light layers of buttery puff pastry topped with creamy roasted aubergine, ripe red tomatoes, salty anchovies, toasted pine nuts and a sprinkling of fresh Italian parsley. Make it slightly larger, serve with a green salad and you have the perfect starter.
Yield: 15 tartlets (7cm in diameter)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Equipment: 7cm cookie cutter
1 roll all butter puff pastry
2 medium sized aubergines, sliced in 1cm rounds
Olive oil for frying
1 egg for egg wash
2 medium sized bright red tomatoes, sliced in 1cm rounds
15 anchovy fillets in oil
Zest of one lemon
¼ cup pine-nuts - toasted
1 handful fresh Italian parsley
Olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat your oven to 200’C.
- Using your 7cm cookie cutter, cut out your tartlet rounds.
- Place on a silpat mat or greasproof paper on a baking tray and place into the fridge to cool.
- Heat your pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Fry the aubergine rounds until just cooked and lightly golden.
- Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Remove your pastry rounds from the fridge and brush lightly with egg wash.
- Top each with one slice of aubergine and a slice of tomato on top of that.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pop into the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and risen.
- Remove and top each with an anchovy fillet, some lemon zest, a drizzle of olive oil and a few leaves of fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately!