I come from a salad-obsessed family. Even if salad has nothing to do with the meal, it has to end up on the table because a meal isn’t complete without something fresh, crunchy and green. I clearly remember travelling with my family a few years back and taking salad leaves along to a restaurant so we could add them to our meal. It’s that serious.
Harvest bowls are the new trendy thing in healthy eating and considering my family’s green-leaning, are right up my alley. The best part is they are so simple. You choose a bunch of your favourite crunchy salad and veg, add a grain, some delicious protein, toss them all into a bowl and top with a juicy dressing. Quick, easy, super tasty and healthy to boot!
Here is my Asian inspired harvest bowl (the ingredients really are an excuse to eat the coconut lime dressing – it is sublime!).
- 1 cup rice noodles, softened in boiling water & drained
- 1 bunch bak choi, roughly chopped
- 3 small Israeli cucumbers, sliced into strips
- 3 asparagus, thinly sliced
- 2 mini red radishes, finely sliced
- 1 small handful sugar snap peas, halved
- 3 tbs fresh peas, blanched
- 1 tbs fresh mint
- 1 tbs fresh coriander
- 2 small red salad onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh sprouts
- 1 tbs roasted cashews
- 1 poached chicken breast, shredded
- 2 tsp pickled ginger
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small hot green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 3 tbs fish sauce
- 1 whole lime, zested & juiced
- ¼ round of palm sugar, finely shaved
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing, cover and allow to infuse for half an hour.
- Combine all your bowl ingredients, dress with the dressing and serve! SO Simple!